When going off the grid, it’s safe to assume that most folks will be relying on solar panels for much of their electrical needs. However, a lack of sunlight can present a few problems for any would-be prepper. If only there was a cheap and simple way to supplement a solar panel array on those cloudy days.
Fortunately, there is such a way, and I’m willing to bet that most of you reading this have never heard of it (I hadn’t until recently). It’s called a Dickens Magnesium Battery after it’s inventor, Stephen Dickens; though the principles behind its function have been around for a very long time. If anything it may be more of a rediscovery, than a completely novel idea.
This device is also called a “Galvanic Cell,” which has been around since the late 1700’s, and possibly even earlier if the theories surrounding the Baghdad Battery are to be believed. It generates small electrical currents by capturing the energy produced by the corrosion of a metal.
In this case, the Dickens battery uses the magnesium as its source of electricity, which many you probably already know if you’ve ever used a fire starter, is a very energy dense material. The design is simple enough that pretty much anyone can make it.
You start out with thick, magnesium rods, which you can buy on Ebay. After that, you’ll need to fasten a metal electrode to the rod with a hose clamp. The metal used for this step is never specified, so feel free to try out a few different metals to see what nets you the best results (more on that in a moment).
After that, you wrap the rod in porous foam, and then coil copper wire around the foam. The idea is to allow water to pass through the foam, but to keep the copper from touching the electrode. Doing so won’t cause anything catastrophic, but your battery will stop producing energy.
After it’s all said and done, it should look like this:
From there, you’ll need a small jar to store this contraption, and you’ll have to puncture holes in the lid to allow the positive and negative contacts to push through. Fill the jar with tap water up to the top of the foam, and close the lid with the contacts exposed. You’ll also need to use something like caulk to seal the holes in the lid, thus keeping the water from evaporating. And that’s it! Your magnesium battery is all done.
But what is it capable of?
Each cell should produce about 1.5 volts, and anywhere from 20mah to 100mah. You’ll notice that the current has a fairly wide range. That’s because this invention hasn’t been around very long, and it’s hard to say what will allow it operate at its optimum efficiency. That’s what I was talking about before with the metal electrode. You’ll have to try a few different metals to see what works best.
Although it doesn’t produce a whole lot of energy, it is pretty cheap, and it will last a really long time. Depending on the current you get from it, it may last more than a year. Maybe even longer. It’s hard to say because to my knowledge, nobody has ever completely depleted the magnesium.
And with 1.5 volts, you can connect 8 of these to produce 12 volts of direct current. Coincidentally, that is exactly what you need if you want to connect it to a deep cycle battery, which are typically used to store the energy produced by solar panels. If you manage to get 8 of these producing 100mah of current, you’ll be pumping a steady stream of 1.2 watts of energy, 24 hours a day, for at least 9 months.
At that point, you’ll have to take the battery apart, and scrape the corrosion buildup off the magnesium and the copper wire. And that’s pretty much the only maintenance you’ll have to do. It’s not a lot of energy, but it adds up after a while, and it’ll be able to supplement a small portion of your energy needs when the sun isn’t out. Or if you don’t mind rapidly depleting your magnesium, you can also add salt to the tap water, which will produce more energy.
For a more detailed description of this device, check out the full instructions for its construction, and hopefully you’ll soon be enjoying your new magnesium battery bank.
With the new invention called the Batteriser, the lives of typical AAA, AA, C and D battery life can be extended 6 to 8 times. How the Batteriser works is by stepping up the output voltage of a low battery to the optimal battery charge of 1.5 volts.
Typically most electronic devices with see a battery as dead when the battery reading gets down to 1.2 volts. But there is still most of power still remaining in the battery in the form of remaining chemical reaction. The Batteriser can even step up the voltage of a battery with 0.6 volts to 1.5 volts. The revolution in this technology is that the technology has become much smaller , so that a battery fitted with the Batteriser Battery life extender can still easily fit into the compartments of electronic devices.
- ALIENS & UFOS
- BLOG & NEWS
- EXPLORING SELF
- SELF SUFFICIENCY
- TECH, HEALTH & SCIENCE
Login & Partecipate
Latest News & Posts
- China’s Secret UFO Archive: SENSATIONAL Footage Smuggled Out & Released!August 14, 2017 - 1:11 am
Secret UFO Archive Footage Released In China A secret and sensational UFO video has been smuggled out of China and released, and it has been going around the internet, causing jaws to drop. The footage has just been released and has got UFO believers very excited because it shows what seems to be a crystal […]
- Google Now Targets ‘Conspiracy Theory Websites’ And UFOs In Latest UpdateAugust 6, 2017 - 2:31 am
Google is again stepping up their censorship regime on the Internet. The quality raters guidelines of Google have been updated July 27, 2017. This latest update brings many changes, but the biggest is conspiracy theory websites and results in non-English language. Quality Raters Guidelines Of Google Updated To Show Conspiracy Theories The change to the […]
- Beware, Sprinkle Smart Dust! ‘You Might Already be Microchipped’August 6, 2017 - 2:26 am
What is sprinkle smart dust and why does it make people so worried about civil rights? Back in the 1990s, a researcher called Kris Pister imagined a future wherein people would have access to a technology known as sprinkle smart dust. Sprinkle smart dust: Tiny sensors Sprinkle smart dust were intended to be tiny sensors, […]
- Pyramids Form Intergalactic Communication Network Based on ‘Cosmic Internet’ Described by Nikola TeslaApril 27, 2017 - 1:16 am
- New Anti-Aging Drug Turns Old Mice Into YoungstersApril 6, 2017 - 10:32 pm
- HEBBIAN POWER: Scientists Find Real Life ‘SUPER POWER’ Hidden Inside Our Brains!March 9, 2017 - 12:30 am
Evolution has been going impressively well for humans as we grew into intelligent creatures of curisosity and reason. It’s a complex process that spans generations of information inside the DNA. Humans have evolved both physicaly and mentally and we keep moving forward into new stages, being able to process information with a rapid learning rate. […]
- The Tiny Egloo Can Heat Your Home Without Electricity for...December 22, 2015 - 12:42 pm
- Murdered Holistic Doctors Discovered Cancer-Causing Enzyme...November 22, 2015 - 10:23 pm
- A potential timeline of events, if the lights went out in...November 17, 2015 - 6:36 am
- Are New Government Aircraft Responsible for UFO Sightin...November 16, 2015 - 2:57 am
- Billions in Change Solution: Generate your own Power -O...November 11, 2015 - 12:03 am
- India permits free energy technology despite threat from...October 31, 2015 - 10:29 pm
- EU parliament votes to drop charges against Edward Snow...October 31, 2015 - 12:10 am
- Top 5 PHONES With The Highest Radiation. Is Yours Putting...October 31, 2015 - 12:06 am
- Scientists Just Made A Discovery On This Tiny Island That...October 30, 2015 - 11:55 pm
- The real effects that ‘Earthing’ can have on...November 28, 2015 - 10:05 pm
- DARPA’s lightest metal ever is 99.9 percent AIRDecember 5, 2015 - 12:01 pm
- 15 Signs that can Help You Detect a False Flag Operatio...December 22, 2015 - 12:34 pm
- Bombshell: Unvaccinated populations are healthier than the...December 17, 2015 - 11:25 pm
- This Ancient Remedy Cures HIV, AIDS, Diabetes, Cancer, Stroke,...December 17, 2015 - 11:12 pm
- Long-Lost Nikola Tesla Drawings Reveal Genius Map For M...December 17, 2015 - 11:03 pm
- Judge Calls For US Marshals and FBI To Arrest Congress and...December 13, 2015 - 6:03 am
- Brutal Warning From Islamic Woman to America: Wake Up or...December 12, 2015 - 10:48 pm
- Dinosaur Blood Vessels Survived 80 Million Years. Jurassic...December 12, 2015 - 10:41 pm
- China’s Secret UFO Archive: SENSATIONAL Footage Smuggled...August 14, 2017 - 1:11 am
- Google Now Targets ‘Conspiracy Theory Websites’...August 6, 2017 - 2:31 am
- Beware, Sprinkle Smart Dust! ‘You Might Already be...August 6, 2017 - 2:26 am
- Pyramids Form Intergalactic Communication Network Based...April 27, 2017 - 1:16 am
- New Anti-Aging Drug Turns Old Mice Into YoungstersApril 6, 2017 - 10:32 pm
- HEBBIAN POWER: Scientists Find Real Life ‘SUPER POWER’...March 9, 2017 - 12:30 am
- EmDrive: NASA’s FASTER THAN LIGHT propulsion technology...March 9, 2017 - 12:27 am
- EPA UNDER PRESSURE TO TO BAN FLUORIDE FROM DRINKING WAT...January 25, 2017 - 11:55 pm
- Two Star Trek ‘Tricorders’ Have Made It to the...January 15, 2017 - 12:22 am
- USA HOUSE PASSES BILL ALLOWING AMERICANS TO BE IMPLANTED...December 19, 2016 - 5:38 am
- RECONSTRUCTED 2000 YEAR OLD MANUSCRIPT PROVE THE EXISTENCE...November 2, 2016 - 12:44 am
- RUSSIAN SCIENTISTS CAN TRANSMUTE ANY ELEMENT INTO ANOTHER,...September 6, 2016 - 7:37 am
- EUROPEAN SCIENTIFIC STUDY CONCLUDES: ALL THREE WTC TOWERS...September 6, 2016 - 7:32 am
- ROMANIAN CAVE SEALED FOR 5.5 MILLION YEARS IS FULL OF STRANGE...July 27, 2016 - 4:19 am
- Scientists Sent This Message Into Space In 1974, And In...July 4, 2016 - 11:11 pm
- New water-oozing nano material could help quench thirstJune 15, 2016 - 3:31 am
- Alien Species in Contact With Earth Right Now – Confirmed...June 8, 2016 - 5:58 am
- Scientists make ‘second skin’ to hide wrinklesMay 13, 2016 - 1:08 pm
- August 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- September 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014